Re: install from full CD

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 11:49:09AM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> While preparing a fix for the /media issue in discover1 I thought about
> removing this feature from discover1. IMO there are 2 good reasons to do this:
>
> 1) discover (Version 2) does not have this feature, so it will go away in
> the long run.
> 2) I doubt that it is really usefull because it does not add entries to the
> fstab and if you have an external cdrom the device names can change if you
> plug/unplug this device.
>
> However I don't know if there are some parts of the system that rely on
> discover1 setting up these links. What do others think about it?

I've seriously considered getting rid of it as well, or at least setting
the debconf priority to low and setting the default be to not having the
mount points. While it's valuable to have the feature, I think only a
very small number of people need it. However, I didn't want to break d-i
by removing it at this late a stage, and I figured it would go away
during the transition later on. If we can switch the default and not
break d-i though, I say go for it since it's causing problems.

 - David Nusinow