Re: (un)official images FAQ

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 05:00:37AM +0200, Andras Gefferth wrote:
> >The main difference is, that official images are build of the debian
> >team itself. Once they are created they are not changed and (more
> >important) the are fairly tested.
>
> If the webpage maintainer reads this: would be good to see this in the
> FAQ.

Hm, I guess I am the web page maintainer...

A question "what's the difference between official/unofficial images?"
would be nice - what should the answer be? I propose the following, based
on Jan's answer:

  Official images are built by a member of the Debian CD team and have
  undergone some testing to ensure they work. Once they have been released,
  the images never change - if they turn out to be broken, a new set with a
  different version number is released.

  Unofficial images can be built by anyone - CD team members, other Debian
  developers or even advanced Debian users. Typically, they are more
  up-to-date, but have received less testing. Some have new features (e.g.
  installation support for new hardware), special sizes (DVD-sized,
  business card sized or similar), or contain additional software packages
  which are not part of Debian.

Anything else?

> A note to the maintainer of http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/ (hope
> (s)he happens to read this) Well it might be obvious to hardcore
> debianers that the mailing list debian-cd@lists.debian.org is public I
> didn't realise only when I started to receive the spam.

Sorry about that - and thanks for not threatening to sue Debian over this,
like other people regularly do! ;-)

I've changed the bottom of the page to this:

  English-language public mailing list for CDs/DVDs:
  Debian CD team <debian-cd@lists.debian.org>

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯