Re: jigdo-woody download problem

Hi Elmarie,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:11:53AM +0200, Elmarie Bosman - ROS wrote:
> I am a windows user who would like to download debian linux to install on
> another computer.  I've been strugling for a week now to download
> the jigdo files for woody r2, without success.  I read throught the archive
> of the debian mailing list for clues as to what I'm doing wrong. I've even
> tried to force proxy addresses into the jigdo-lite-settings.txt file, but it
> didn't work either.
> At the moment the script looks like this:
>
> jigdo='http://non-us.cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/3.0_r2/jigdo/i386/woody-i
> 386-{1_NONUS,2,3,4,5,6,7}.jigdo'
> debianMirror=''
> nonusMirror=''

These two should contain URLs for your nearest Debian and Non-US mirrors.
Since you appear to be from South Africa, you should use the following
mirrors. For the Debian mirror:

ftp://ftp.sun.ac.za/debian/

For the non-US mirror:

ftp://ftp.sun.ac.za/debian/non-US/

(Alternatively, if the above turn out not to work:
  ftp://ftp.is.co.za/debian/
  http://debian-non-us.is.co.za/
)

> tmpDir='.'
> jigdoOpts='--cache jigdo-file-cache.db'
> wgetOpts='-e ftp_proxy=http://non-us.cdimage.debian.org:80/  -e
> http_proxy=http://non-us.cdimage.debian.org:80/'

This is wrong - do not use any proxy at all!
The rest looks OK.

> What am I doing wrong or where did I misunderstand something?  I would
> realy like to install debian, but I admit I don't have all the computer
> skills needed to do software installation.  Please help.

If this is the first time you install Linux, you should really try to find
a knowledgeable person to assist you with it. Unfortunately, in my opinion
Debian isn't quite as easy to install as other Linux flavours.

> This e-mail and any file attachments transmitted with it are intended
> solely for the addressee(s) and may be legally privileged and/or
> confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please destroy
> it. If you are not the addressee you may not disclose, copy, distribute
> or take any action based on the contents hereof.

My email address is not in the "To:" field, so will I be prosecuted for
helping you?! Grr, sorry, I just don't like legal blobs like that...

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯