Re: ia64 testers wanted for sarge cds

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:07:18PM +0200, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
> Peter, please reply to the lists, I don't know a thing about ia64 and people
> on the lists can help us with this kind of things ;-)

> > Santiago> to see if they boot, the installer is started, and if that
> >
> > The credit card image doesn't boot on I2000; it appears not to have a
> > DOS EFI filesystem on it to boot off.
>
> So, what is this DOS EFI filesystem?
>
> Is it really needed? I mean, others have booted it, or are there several
> booting methods and depending on the maker we have to implement a different
> one?

I'm away from home and unable to actually try your ISOs this week.
However, the ISOs will boot the same way on all ia64 boxes.  The d-i
build produces a cdrom-image.img which is basically a large "floppy"
image (8MB, iirc), containing a FAT filesystem.  On that filesystem is
the kernel and initrd images, elilo.efi, and elilo.conf.  This floppy
image is what is being referred to as a DOS EFI filesystem.  debian-cd
creates the ISO, specifying that floppy image as the boot image.  When
you put the CD in the ia64 box, and from the EFI Shell change to the
relevant device, and issue "ls" you should see those files.  You can
then invoke 'elilo' to start the install process.  I suppose it is
possible one of your ISO images is broken, and all success reports were
for the other one, but it seems unlikely.

Peter, can you give us any more info on what you did to determine that
the CD didn't appear to be bootable?

Thanks,
  Richard