Making unofficial extension CDs

Is there an online reference that describes how the Debian
archives are constructed?  Such as how "Packages.gz" gets
built, etc?

I need to create a CD set based on a set of extra,
unofficial Debian packages.  My understanding is that if
this is done right, it will be possible to combine such a
CD with an official distribution set to make an extended
set, with local packages, unofficial deb packages, etc,
that can be installed and maintained more-or-less just like
you would a standard system.

The debian-cd instructions state that you need a "Local
Debian Mirror", but don't describe how you create it,
especially if you *aren't* just copying the official
archives.

I really feel like this has to be a FAQ, but I haven't been
able to find it with Google or the search engine on the
Debian site.

Cheers,
Terry