Re: debian-cd questions [Was: Re: Debian-cd 2.2.16 uploaded, any co-maintainers ?]

> Le Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 03:12:50AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow écrivait:
> > I need different kernel images (building them atm), different
> > ramdisks (those debix will build via debix-imager), and the normal
> > ramdisk or a full live filesystem as loopback file on the CD.
> >
> > I hope I can use debian-cd to create the actual CDs and make them
> > bootabel. I would hate to do the bootloader stuff for alpha, mips,
> > .... all over again.
>
> Sure, beware however that not all arch are able to provide a choice for
> the kernel to use at boot time ...

I won't. It will be hard enough to build one kernel for most archs.

> > Is there some documentation about intelligent hooks in the cvs?
>
> Not really, the only doc available is what's in README (and README.devel).
> It's rather terse about the hooks but well UTSL. :-)
>
> > By the way, does debian-cd need root to build the ramdisk or is that
> > provided as image by boot-floppies/D-I? Can't rememer.
>
> Provided by d-i. I always tried to avoid root requirement. It may be
> that sparc building needs root right (in order loop-munt a file and edit
> it IIRC).

debix-imager doesn't allow to loop-mount a given image for security
reasons. Maybe d-i can be convinced to do the edit or provide a tar
file instead.

MfG
        Goswin