Re: gzip/zlib rsyncable (was: Accessibility of official jigdo files for Sarge)

Richard Atterer wrote:
On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:35:11PM +0200, Conny Brunnkvist wrote:

    --rsyncable   Make rsync-friendly archive

Hm, is this feature also somehow available in the Debian zlib packages? jigdo-file uses zlib to compress the .template files...

I understand that "rsyncable" is the result of a patch to gzip originally made by Rusty Russell. It seems to work, and I assume that it is being included upstream by now - details in:
http://pserver.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/rsync/patches/gzip-rsyncable.diff?rev=1.1

After a quick search I found the following posting from debian-devel, which elaborates a bit on both the effects as well as the status of the corresponding patch for zlib:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200307/msg00462.html

So I guess(?) it's not in zlib yet, but it will be at some point.

//conny