Re: Accessibility of official jigdo files for Sarge

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:00:16AM +0200, Attila Nagy wrote:
> >For Debian mirrors, we have practically no use in features like
> >compression,
> >RCS, deltas and whatever else. To eliminate the initial delay in rsyncing,
> >now that would be a useful thing. Did you try that, is that improved with
> >cvsup?
> No, I didn't try it with Debian mirrors, but I did with FreeBSD. It
> contains much more files than Debian, because of the CVS repositories
> checked out.
> It starts the synchronization much earlier than rsync

debian/ mirrors don't contain CVS stuff, and most probably never will. When
you look at it, they are quite trivial, because just a handful of files are
ever updated -- only new files are added. Hence, results with updating,
diffing files, they probably don't matter to us. We need an experiment with
our stuff. What needs to be done to test this?

> and which is even better, the memory requirement is very low (maximum 4-6
> MBs). I guess only the latter worth the change. We had many rsync mirrors
> and our machine ran out of memory very soon. Just imagine a mirror of
> four-five bigger projects (like NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Debian) and
> voila, you need minimum 1 GBs of RAM just for the rsync in memory file
> list.

I didn't notice any noteworthy problems with a machine with 96 MB RAM,
although I mass-mirror stuff less than half the size of debian/ (linux,
gnu, php etc).

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.