Re: Accessibility of official jigdo files for Sarge

Josip Rodin wrote:
For Debian mirrors, we have practically no use in features like compression,
RCS, deltas and whatever else. To eliminate the initial delay in rsyncing,
now that would be a useful thing. Did you try that, is that improved with
cvsup?
No, I didn't try it with Debian mirrors, but I did with FreeBSD. It contains much more files than Debian, because of the CVS repositories checked out. It starts the synchronization much earlier than rsync and which is even better, the memory requirement is very low (maximum 4-6 MBs). I guess only the latter worth the change. We had many rsync mirrors and our machine ran out of memory very soon. Just imagine a mirror of four-five bigger projects (like NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Debian) and voila, you need minimum 1 GBs of RAM just for the rsync in memory file list.

--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: Attila.Nagy@fsn.hu
Free Software Network (FSN.HU)           phone @work: +361 210 1415/127