Re: sarge first i386 CD musings

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:07:13AM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> >
> >Whilst a random purchase at anyone's local store is still likely to come
> >up with 74 minute CDs, the Debian images should stick to that size to
> >maximize availability.  (We don't want yet another "Why can't I make a
> >working Debian CD?" question added to the list.), but equally there's no
> >point in sticking to the old limit once it becomes obsolete.  It isn't
> >obsolete yet but it will be in (I would estimate) less than a year.  The
> >question wants revisiting in, say, 6 months and once the 74s are gone
> >then the image size should be increased.
>
> Hmmm. There are a lot of older CD drives out there that don't like 80
> minute media, so I deliberately keep a stock of 74-minute discs for
> these people.

We've been using 80min cds exclusively now for approx 18 months and havent
had a single customer complain that their drive cant read them becasue
they can only read 74 min.

Unless - it is not a problem using a 80 min cd with only 74min capacity
used in one of these old drives.

The most bizaar set at the moment is the ppc i386 r1 set where cd 7 has
only 10mb of data.

Brian Teeman
www.debianshop.com
www.cheeplinux.com