Re: Fed up with Redhat !

On Friday 04 April 2003 00:19, jon wrote:

> Can I produce a custom Debian CD with a standard linux and My
> application and installer (IE a zero knowledge recovery CD) ?

This should be no problem at all.

> Do I need to provide any sources other than MY systems Gnu code on the
> CD ?

If you ever have problems with space on that CD: you don't even need to
deliver the source code with the CD. GPL (and I think that covers most of the
programs that do require distribution of sources) requires you only to make
the source code available on request.

Usually, I'd say distributing the source per default is a good idea, but in
the case of a prepared system where the user is not really expected to modify
the installation (as I understand you're doing), there'll be only few people
ever digging in.

Just make sure that you can provide source for those parts where you modify an
open-source (GPL-like licensing) program.

Distributing such a customized Debian version should (IANAL) not affect any
proprietary software which you distribute on the same machines/CDs.

> Can I put the Debian name on it ... what should it all look like.

Here I'm guessing. This should be no problem. However, it would be polite to
point out that you did modify the system and that people shouldn't ask the
Debian mailing lists etc. when they experience problem.

cheers
-- vbi

--
random link of the day: http://fortytwo.ch/sienapei/ohrooquo