Re: jigdo

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 10:34:03PM -0400, Bradley Glonka wrote:
> I'm having a bit of a hard time with Jigdo.
> Does it really connect and disconnect from and ftp server for every file
> it needs to get?

It'll only reconnect for every 10 files. At least the latest version
does, you may have to upgrade wget. (Not that that'll make a major
difference in speed...)

If you want better response times, HTTP is usually the superior
protocol.

>  I want to login to an ftp server and get as many files
> as I can.  I've tried several mirrors.

Due to the way wget works (no HTTP pipelining support), it'll never be
quite as fast as downloading the whole big ISO in one go.

> Are the mirrors up to date?

Yes.

> Is the mirrors list up to date?

Mostly. Check <http://www.debian.org/misc/README.mirrors> for the
latest list.

> Is there a way to keep jigdo connected to a server?

It already does that for FTP. It also does it for HTTP servers which
support HTTP 1.1 (i.e. most of them).

> What will define "official" images?

The MD5SUMS file is GPG-signed, usually by Phil.

> Phillip, any chance we'll see "official" images on the cdimage rsync
> server?
>
> I've been trying for a few days now and still don't have one image
> created.

That sounds strange - jigdo certainly isn't /that/ slow...
Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _