Re: No script to make CDs bootable for mips ...

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 06:21:17PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:

> ... to quote what the debian-cd makefile just told me.
>
> Does anyone have patches to fix this, or is mips not bootable from CD?

We do not have a bootloader that is compileable under Linux and able to
boot a DECstation from an ISO9660 filesystem. NetBSD has a working CD
bootloader, which I have done several experiments with. Unfortunately
it uses several BSDisms and is tied to the NetBSD kernel sources very
much (it uses parts from the NetBSD kernel and private NetBSD kernel
headers; on a NetBSD box it is in fact built as part of the kernel
build), so I have not been able to get it build fully under Linux.

I have as an experiment created bootable Debian/mipsel CDs, but that
required a NetBSD box :-) (and there is still a problem with passing
kernel parameters when booting a Linux kernel with the NetBSD loader).

Regards,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>