Re: Those task packages

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Joey Hess wrote:

> > > According to the tasksel README, I have not done a install from a CD.
> > "On startup, the tasksel program will read /var/lib/dpkg/available to
> > identify task packages (matching "task-*")."
> > My understanding is that if no package mentions a task, then that task is
> > not presented.
>
> Re-read what I said. You apparently have x-window-system-core on cd #1.
> That is in the desktop task, so the desktop task will be displayed.

First the bad news.  desktop includes most of the other tasks, far worse
than basic-desktop.

Now the good news.
desktop
laptop
dialup
print-server
unix-server	make up a 542765K first CD.

We have a real problem now there two are important CDs and there is no way
we can work round this issue, and it will be worse in twelve months. The
simple solution is to go the Red Hat way and say "use the two CDs or
else".

Another suggestion, use dummy packages, these would not be the same as the
potato task-* packages.  tasksel would look for these new task-* packages
and if it found task-foo it would only then offer foo in its menu.  There
would still be a Task: field so these dummy packages would be included in
tasks/task-woody.  These would not have to be maintained as they would be
fully functional as long as the particular task remained in existence
regardless of changes within that task. If people really wanted to be
sophisticated then they could be designed not to be installed.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz