Re: debian-cd 2.2.13 and woody.

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Chris Lawrence wrote:

> The script in debian-cd is erroneous, and only picks up the names of
> tasks with hyphens in them; I fixed it in CVS a few days back.  The
> list should now be correct, too.

I picked up the list from cvs a few minutes ago.  I see that it is in
alphabetical order.  Unfortunately this means that packages for the
various tasks will be scattered over the first two CDs.

> I can get all of the non-i18n tasks on CD 1 and have space left over
> for lots of interesting packages.  My gut feeling is that the i18n
> tasks can either be on CD #2, or a separate "woody-i18n" set with some
> of the other tasks dropped from CD #1 may be appropriate.

I carefully built task-woody so that packages for each task were grouped
together in the list.  All the packages for basic-desktop, desktop,
laptop, dialup, and print-server are on the first CD.  games and junior
are split between the first and second CDs.  All the other tasks are on
the second CD.  The following CDs are clear of "Task: foo" packages.

> As an alternative, I think if you dropped the non-Western European
> language tasks (which pull in a lot of fonts and other big packages)
> you could still have a decent #1 CD; the ISO-8851-1/15 language tasks
> don't bring in a lot of stuff (dictionaries, mainly).  But I haven't
> tried this.

As it stands, the *-servers (excluding print), *-dev, tex, i18n and a few
others have been forced onto the 2nd CD.

gnome and kde must take up a considerable amount of space on the first CD.

If I get time I will work out how much space the packages for each task
takes.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz