Re: Official woody netinst images

On Mar 07, Karl-Martin Skontorp wrote:
> * Richard Atterer (deb-cd@list02.atterer.net) wrote:
> >  - <100MB, should fit on a credit-card sized CD (=150MB) - maybe just
> >    boot-floppies and base. One should be able to install via the net
> >    even with hardware which is not supported by boot-floppies, e.g.
> >    PCI ISDN cards.
>
> I don't think my credit-card CDs will fit more than about 30 MB. The
> images from here fit:
>
> 	http://people.debian.org/~ieure/netinst/
>
> There are also some 80 mm. CDs, about 200 MB. They are not
> rectangular, but will fit in a shirt pocket.

Here are the sizes I am aware of:

"Business card" CDs: ~50 MB (approximately 8 cm by 5 cm)
8 cm (3 in) CDs:    ~185 MB
12 cm (5 in) CDs:   ~650 MB / ~700 MB

(DVD-R(G) 2.0:     ~4300 MB or 4.7x10^9 bytes)

I assume the first two formats can also be produced with the 700 MB
track spacing, but I don't think any vendors do that.

These are traditional megabyte figures, not 10^6 byte figures.

My general feeling is that the 50 MB size is really something of a
gimmick, as you can't really carry it around safely in a wallet
without breaking the CD.  The 185 MB size is pretty nice, though, and
you can put a useful Debian install on it.  (I can see the value in
providing all three sizes for CD 1: 50, 185, and 650.  But, you won't
fit anything much beyond disks-$ARCH on a 50 MB blank.)

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/