Missing filesystems for 2.4 kernel on testing cds

Hello,

I've downloaded and tried the unofficial woody cd (just disc 1) from
powerpc.trasno.net (downloaded on March 1). I have installed debian i386
on numerous computers before. This time I am installing on my wife's ibook
(dual usb) to decide if I want one myself for my next laptop.

Aside-- my first linux install was slackware on my then-girlfriend's 386SX
Packard Bell using the UMSDOS filesystem so as not to interfere with her
win3.1 files. I didn't lose any of her files and she ended up marrying me
(a few years later). I'm not sure what would have happened had the install
gone awry...

Anyway, my first plan was to install with an nfs root and netboot, both
because I think it would be cool and because there would be as little
alteration to her data as possible.

So, I boot from the cd, choose 'linux24' from yaboot, and start
installation. When it gets to the point of mounting root over nfs, (after
network was properly setup by dhcp: I tested this by pinging the nfs
server), the install script was unable to do so. Dropping to the shell in
the other console, catting /proc/filesystems does not list nfs.

Then I decided to try nfs root install under the old kernel. This time the
root fs was mounted, base system was installed (I think), but before base
system install was complete, debootstrap reported "unable to run chroot
/target dpkg".

At this point I decided to go ahead and install directly to th harddisk
(after asking nicely for a few Gigs to work in and promising not to do
anything irrevocable).

Repartitioning went as planned. Again, I chose linux24 from the
yaboot selector. Now after formatting the root partition and mounting it,
the time came to install the base system. So I selected install from
CD. Unable to mount cd... I checked /proc/filesystems: no iso9660.

I then proceeded to install to the hard disk using the 2.2 kernel and
updated to 2.4 with my first deselect.

the linux24 kernel on the install cd should probably have the
  filesystems iso9660 and nfs compiled in.
I'm not sure what went wrong with the install to an nfs root using the
  2.2 kernel (unable to run chroot /target dpkg)
But, I did get it installed (but haven't done much with it yet).

Let me know if any more details would be helpful.

-- bradford powell
-- bradford_powell@unc.edu