Re: Redesign of cdimage website

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Philip Hands wrote:

PH> There would seem to be a deep seated myth among Debian newbies, that
PH> they need a CD to install it.  That's fine for those that really do
PH> need a CD, but for many it would be better to either get the floppies,
PH> or get a small bootstrap CD with just the base system on it, and then
PH> do a network install.

small bootstrap CDs are fine but I'd be concerned about the use of
multiple floppies being a requirement for installing debian. In
practice, creating 1 or 2 install floppies is tolerable but creating
more than 2 floppies to install a linux distribution is a pain,
esp. considering that if you create 10 install floppies, in my
experience at least, one or more of those floppies is gonna be dud and
need to be recreated.

Maybe bootstrap CDs contain just the boot n base should become an
"official component" of the distrib alongside the install floppies?

-stephen

--
  Stephen Mulcahy, Software Engineer, A&O - Multivendor Systems Engineering,
    Compaq Global Services, Ballybrit Business Park, Galway, Ireland.