Re: powerpc 2.2r4

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 12:08:45PM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 02:06:24PM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> > >
> > > I used the CVS version (as at about Nov 6 2001)
> > >
> > > So, are the official 2.2 r4 CDs unbootable?
> >
> > on powerpc yes.
> >
> > > If so, any ideas what I did wrong?
> >
> > its not your fault its mine, for one i was under the apparently
> > mistaken impression that older versions of debian-cd were uses for
> > potato anyway (someone i think debian-cd's maintainer told me this).
>
> That was true up until r3, but I've upgraded open.hands.com
> (cdimage.d.o) to testing recently, in order to be able to build woody
> CDs on a woody system, so was using the new mkisofs, and saw that the
> latest debian-cd supported that, and had the stuff for reducing the
> amount of rubbish on CD1, so thought I'd take advantage of the new
> stuff.  I should probably have asked how sane that was first.

the new mkisofs is also a good thing for powerpc, as well as the fixed
first stage bootloader in debian-cd (all potato CDs have been
unbootable on most machines, except by manually entering commands into
OpenFirwmare due to this).

> So, rebuilding them with the latest CVS will sort out the problem
> then, will it?

for the bootability problem yes it should, though i cannot test my
changes unfortunatly, since i simply don't have the disk space nor
bandwidth.  the change was really rather trivial though.

> I'll do that, and put the new image up for rsync, so people can test
> it.  If all's well, I'll do a CD point release (unless people come up
> with compelling reasons not to).

ok great.

--
Ethan Benson