Re: Redesign of cdimage website

> Richard Atterer <deb-cd@list.atterer.net> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 08:24:06AM +0100, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> > > One thing: Reorder the list so that "Install directly from the
> > > network." is the first point, since it is the one we should point
> > > most users towards?
> >
> > I've already been asked to do this by someone else. But I'm not sure
> > whether it should really be the first option:
>
> It should definitely be the first option.
>
> IMO it should be given a status that makes the other options look
> almost insignificant.
>
> There would seem to be a deep seated myth among Debian newbies, that
> they need a CD to install it.  That's fine for those that really do
> need a CD, but for many it would be better to either get the floppies,
> or get a small bootstrap CD with just the base system on it, and then
> do a network install.
>
> That's the reason for the current maze.
>
> Of course, Jigdo sorts out much of the problem, so perhaps we should
> switch to providing only jigdo spec files from woody onwards.
>
> Do you think jigdo is ready for that?
>
> Does jigdo work on windows?
>
> What do people think about not actually having official images of the
> CDs, just jigdo specs, and a signed MD5SUM file.
>
> The only problem I see is ensuring that we make sure that the right
> .debs remain available from the archive.
>
> Cheers, Phil.

This problem is slightly wider than http://cdimage.debian.org

It seems that some attention should be paid to clarifying the installation
instructions at http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/#new-inst and
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install (and it's relatives for
other architectures). Links to and from these pages would seem sensible in
order to make it easier for people to find the information they actually
need during installation.

My first installation took me a year or more to achieve. I did not manage it
until I found the current cdimage site which happened by chance as I recall.
The whole install process definately needs work, I have seen many clever
people defeated by it, and I applaud your work on cdimage as a step in this
direction.

regards
Mark