Re: Want to mirror Debian CDs

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, David Gray wrote:

> The IBM LTC at Beaverton, Oregon, USA uses Debian quite a bit and have
> asked that I include the Debian ISO images along with the other
> distributions I currently mirror.  The machine I would use for this is a
> UNIX variant (Sequent (now IBM) DYNIX/ptx).
>
> After reading the debcdmirror script and what it takes for maintenance,
> I think the route I want to take is just to rsync the iso images straight
> across - I'm not sure I want to build ISO images on my end and am unclear
> why I would want to unless the distribution is not fixed, but changes.
> I thought changes of this nature would go in an update directory.
>
> Could you please tell me how to use rsync to grab the iso's, and what is
> needed to maintain the mirrors when the distribution changes?  Hopefully
> cron is all I would need.

Hi David,

if you already have a full debian mirror, you'd want to think about this,
since the pseudo image kit will do most of the work for you to build these
images from data you already have. (i haven't used the debcdmirror script
myself.. i should check it out sometime..)

however, if you just want to mirror all the images (for all architectures?)
then if you wait for a few days, there will be a number of sites you can
rsync or ftp them from.

please keep in mind that there are 6 architectures and source, so you need
about 12-15G of disk space for a full debian-cd 2.2_rev4 mirror.

rsync has no particular advantage for you to use over ftp if you aren't
building images over previous images (some people have reported quite good
results with that) and it's probably best to leave rsync slots open to
mirrors/users doing this, if you are fetching "fresh" images.

some of the usual sites that carry debian iso image archives

planetmirror.com/pub/debian-cd/2.2_rev4/  (our site.  free plug :-)

ftp.fsn.hu

ftp.sunet.se

Mattias Wadenstein <maswan@acc.umu.se> who i think runs ftp.acc.umu.se

cdimage.debian.org (master site - busiest, and preferably use a mirror before
                    hitting it)

cheers,

-jason