Re: Update 2.2r3 images via rsync?

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 05:22:30PM -0800, flonesaw@longship.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Concerning using the pseudo-image kit to update to the 2.2rev4 images...
>
> I already have the 2.2rev3 images in place just as they were at the end of a
> pseudo-image + rsynch build.
>
> Wouldn't it be more efficient to update my 2.2r3 ISO images to 2.2r4 directly
> using rsync (omitting the pseudo-image step)?

I am unshure on how much actually changed between the releases concerning
the distribution of the packages to the different isos. Nevertheless rsync
shouldnt make it worse than transferring the whole 600MB per image so using
the 2.2r3 images as a base will definitly be a gain.

> If I already have a substantial amount of the CD contents here in my 2.2r3 ISO
> images why do I want to download everything again with the pseudo image kit?
>
> Isn't this just what rsync was designed to do?

Definitly

> Maybe I don't understand what the pseudo-image kit is doing...

The pseudo-image kit is thought for people who have a local mirror
and thus could build the images themselfs. The PIK builds half way
correct isos from local content which needs no bandwidth and then
rsync the couple of different bits by rsync which only needs
a few k per iso to get it correct. This insures all mirrors have the
same isos although the didnt transfer the iso.

If you dont have a local mirror to generate the pseudo images from
the PIK is not for you as its the same problem in either
transferring the packages individually or the isos.

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium