How to install Debian?

Hello.
I have been using Mandrake for some time and I am wishing to switch to Debian.  I decided to try downloading and burning the CD Images depite the fact it was a waste of cd's.  I went to http://cdimage.debian.org/ and clicked on "I want to install Debian GNU/Linux on one computer".  Then I clicked on "The computer I want to install Debian on has a free Internet connection (I don't have to pay for downloading large amounts of data)" because I have a cable connection.  Then it told be I dont need to download the CD images, all I need to do is "simply" install from a floppy amd then the "system can connect directly to a Debian FTP mirror"!  Well GREAT this is what I did when I installed my Mandrake system.  WRONG!  I downloaded the /dists/stable/main/disks-i386/ directory.  Good I have it now, now what?  What image do I write to a disk what do I need to do?  I have looked many places and I found one or two places that INFERRED that I need to write the "rescue" disk and only one place told me to write the "root" and "driver" disks.  Well I tryed to boot from the rescue disk and it won't boot.  Rawrite had finihed writing the disk so I don't know what to do.  I was told that Debian was a bit harder to install than Mandrake but I didn't expect it to be this hard.  If you think I sould just stick to my current distro then please tell me, but I would really like to use Debian.