Re: Debian ISO (Was: Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 iso?)

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:

> > At the moment there is no problem with downloading Debian iso images, but
> > when woody is released ...
>
> Well, that is usually solvable quite good with a primary site that only
> allows other mirrors to connect. After those 10-20 mirrors or so have
> managed to get the images, there are usually enough bandwidth around for
> the other mirrors to update resonably fast.
>
> Sure, the servers (especially those that updates first) are going to be
> slow for a day or two, but I'm pretty optimistic given the master server
> is pretty much unaffected by the release.

The volume involved is staggering, say five binary (not counting the US
non-US alternatives) images and nine?  architectures plus five source
images, a total of 50 images, or about 30 Gb to be mirrored. Even if a
site only mirrored i386 there would be 6 Gb.

The problem this volume creates would be at least partially solved by
mirrors using the PIK.  IIRC, this was one of the main reasons for the PIK
in the first place.  IMHO, at this stage of the release the PIK is not
needed, but it will be during the initial stages of the woody release.

Phil.

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - preferred.           philipc@debian.org