Re: Debian ISO (Was: Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 iso?)

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Philip Charles wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Ted Cabeen wrote:
>
> > It doesn't save bandwidth on the clients.  It saves bandwith on the
> > servers.  There are a lot more debian mirrors than there are debian-cd
> > mirrors, and they're a lot better distributed as well.  The rsync just
> > blends the downloaded packages into a iso-compatible image.  Most of that
> > process is the iso munging, not null blocks.
>
> The major problems occure at release time when everyone and their dog are
> trying to get the images. The PIK enables Debian mirrors to build their
> own images and check them against cd-image.debian.org, this means faster
> propogation of the images.  When Mandrake is released everything locks up
> for a few days, Red Hat mirrors build up non-public archives for a few
> weeks and then make them public when the release is announced.
>
> At the moment there is no problem with downloading Debian iso images, but
> when woody is released ...

Well, that is usually solvable quite good with a primary site that only
allows other mirrors to connect. After those 10-20 mirrors or so have
managed to get the images, there are usually enough bandwidth around for
the other mirrors to update resonably fast.

Sure, the servers (especially those that updates first) are going to be
slow for a day or two, but I'm pretty optimistic given the master server
is pretty much unaffected by the release.

/Mattias Wadenstein