Re: Debian ISO (Was: Re: [PLUG] RedHat 7.1 iso?)

On Friday 12 October 2001 15:50, you wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Wookey wrote:
> > On Wed 10 Oct, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > I've brought this up before. I went to go get an ISO, and was presented
> > > with 50 questions about what I intended to do with it, and what type of
> > > person I was. It's rediculous, regardless of the issue it is trying to
> > > solve.
> >
> > I sympathise, but any suggestion of change brings us back to the original
> > question - do we have the bandwidth to just serve people iso images?
>
> Speaking as a cd image mirror admin: Yes.
>
> Checking the list of mirrors europe seems to have enough mirrors to
> provide easy http/ftp downloads. I don't know enough about the bandwidth
> situation in US or Australia though.
>
> But I don't think it would be so bad, at worst the user could discover
> that downloading cd-images is really, really slow and chose another
> method.

You still have to move the same amount of data.  The only problem with ISOs
is having the link drop and have to start over.  (Or hope that the ftp client
is smart enough to restart at a sane location.)

I think someone at the Debian site had a bright idea to "Save Bandwidth" and
did not realize just how much frustration they were causing.

It is not impacting me at the moment.  I am trying to fix a corrupted drive
that is being a REAL problem.  (The system is compressing a 40 gig e2image
file for Ted Tso. It might be done sometime tommorow.) It may take me a week
or two to clean up the mess.