Re: base*.tgz is gone, and why it's gone

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:

> garbage.  since the boot-floppies don't support that they can't
> install base.  under potato they would download the base.tgz ahead of
> time and keep it on CrippledFileSystem.

This is trivially solvable by having .html files with links to all the
files that are required (or maybe if there are too many, a link to a tar
of the .debs). I expect this is easially producable in an automated way
from debbootstrap, and I agree it is an important requirement.

I have frequently had to do installs on machines with ethernet cards that
are not supported by the boot disks, invariably this is either solved
using a 'boot from linuxcare cd' or 'boot from windows' and using a
temporary filesystem.

debbootstrap sounds great, but it is essiantial that all files needed
for install are fetchable with out excessive trouble using standard
netscape/IE.

Jason