Re: base*.tgz is gone, and why it's gone

On 16 Jun 2001, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Anyhow, assuming you had a subset of a debian archive, enough to get
> base, and you can get that via http, nfs, or ftp, if you had that, why
> is that less convenient to install from the actual packages rather
> than from a big fat tarball?

I'm not installing. I have no desire to 'install' debian in the
traditional sense. I need to NFS-Root boot embedded targets into a
shell-like environment.

Debian's base*.tar is the *only* solution I know of for this that supports
the variety of platforms I am interested in, I know other people do the
same thing. This would be a very unfortunate loss to the people doing
embedded work with linux.

Jason