Re: Putting the CD-ROM documents online

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 10:14:52AM +0700, Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim wrote:
> >> But, I had to close down my Debian Mirror do to recent Debian
> >> Webmasters' strange policy :-(
> > Huh?  Don't read many strange things on
> > http://www.debian.org/mirror/webmirror
>
> However, the interpretation of "We generally do not encourage
> creating new Debian web site mirrors" are:
>
> $ rsync www.uk.debian.org::
> [...]
> debian-web:
>   The "debian-web" share is now restricted to tier 2 mirrors,
>   at the request of our webmasters.  If you have any queries
>   about this, please direct them to: mirrors@debian.org
> [...]
>
> $ rsync www.debian.org.hk::
> [...]
>  Latest news:
>    The "debian-www" module is no longer accessible for anonymous
>    rsync, at the request of the webmasters. If you have any queries
>    about this, please direct them to: mirrors@debian.org
>    (or read "http://www.debian.org/mirror/webmirror"; for details)
> [...]
>
> > Maybe just contact mirrors@debian.org and explain your situation?
>
> The result was:
> - The webmasters are not going to change their mirror policy,
>   and
> - I am not going to follow their policy.

You have contacted us, explained your situation, and we understood and said
you would be given access to the rsync repositories for the purpose of
creating a WWW mirror in Indonesia.

You however didn't want that because you wanted to make several mirrors and
your reasons weren't convincing to us ("it's a big country and badly
connected" is quite vague).

We're open for discussion about this, but as I recall last time you said you
understand freedom differently than we do, whatever that means :)

I'll let debian-cd people make their own conclusions.