Re: Putting the CD-ROM documents online

"J.A. Bezemer" wrote:

>>> All documents on the CD (except the top-level README of course) are available
>>> on any Debian mirror, so I don't see any problem with that.
>>> Legally speaking, Debian == Open Source, which should say enough.

Thanks! Basically, I am going to put some "permanent" documents
from the CDROM into a web (i.e. which do not often change).
I just want to be sure that I will not receive "please do not
do that" emails in future.

BTW, I would like to discuss in a separate thread about
the CDROM itself.

>> But, I had to close down my Debian Mirror do to
>> recent Debian Webmasters' strange policy :-(
> Huh?  Don't read many strange things on
> http://www.debian.org/mirror/webmirror

However, the interpretation of "We generally do not encourage
creating new Debian web site mirrors" are:

$ rsync www.uk.debian.org::
[...]
debian-web:
  The "debian-web" share is now restricted to tier 2 mirrors,
  at the request of our webmasters.  If you have any queries
  about this, please direct them to: mirrors@debian.org
[...]

$ rsync www.debian.org.hk::
[...]
 Latest news:
   The "debian-www" module is no longer accessible for anonymous
   rsync, at the request of the webmasters. If you have any queries
   about this, please direct them to: mirrors@debian.org
   (or read "http://www.debian.org/mirror/webmirror"; for details)
[...]

> Maybe just contact mirrors@debian.org and explain your
> situation?

The result was:
- The webmasters are not going to change their mirror policy,
  and
- I am not going to follow their policy.

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
Aint such thing as a free lunch;unless you're the lunch-PH