Re: Building Woody-CDs

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 08:00:26AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
>On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 07:39:07PM +0200, Attila Nagy wrote:
>> > I was able to install woody with images created by debian-cd script.
>> > But if I run "apt-cdrom add" I get the following error message:
>>
>> > Scanning Disc for index files.. Found 5 package indexes and 3 source indexes.
>>                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Simply delete the secure section from debian-cd's Makefile. It is
>> incompatible with the current apt-cdrom implementation.
>
>if this is true, this is absolute not nice.

It is true. I produced a set of potato r3 CDs and forgot this. I've
just had to replace them all, as the custimer was scared about the apt
messages:

> After reading 12 package indexes it says "Wrote 2130 records with
> 3428 missing/A lot of entries were discarded, something may be
> wrong".
>
> After 6 source indexes it says "Wrote 0 records with 3040 missing".
> After that comes a message saying "Bad CD/You do not have a Debian CD
> in the drive".

>If a debian user run a debian potato and buy a woody cd set with this,
>he can't
> - insert first cd
> - add-cdrom add
> - apt-get dist-upgrade
>
>With this, a upgrade to woody is only a hack (dpkg -i
>/cdrom/upgrade/new_apt*.deb, rm /var/apt/lists/*secure*, or ...)
>
>A solution?

We'll have to tell people to update apt (and maybe dpkg) by hand
before the rest of the upgrade, but to be honest that's happened
several times before.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                   stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
"It's actually quite entertaining to watch ag129 prop his foot up on