Re: official 2.2_rev3 CDs available

On 30 Apr 2001, Philip Hands wrote:

> Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > > everyone --- it's now down to 15Mbit/s, so maybe you'll have more
> > > luck. If not, I'll switch the passwords on for the weekend.
> > BTW, wouldn't be wiser to figure out a layout which is compatible with the
> > "rsync way" of mirroring?
> > This would help mirrors to catch up automatically without the need for
> > moving the old rev2 isos to rev3 and sync them.
>
> It already is done in an rsync friendly way.
>
> The file names in the potato_test directory tree do not change between
> point revisions, so if you also mirror that part of the hierarchy, and
> use the --hard-links switch to ensure that the hard links are
> maintained, then the images will be downloaded over the top of the
> potato_test files, and then the hard links will be installed into the
> new versioned directory.

Well, just an rsync over the entire debian-cd directory doesn't work that
way for me, unfortunately. Because it handles the 2.x dir first, before it
comes to the potato_test dir.

And if you only rsync the potato_test dir (and make links manually or
scripted later) you need addtional storage, because then you will end up
with the new set in potato_test and the old set in 2.x. This might work
fine for some people, but unfortunately we do not have that much storage
free (we use that to mirror stuff instead).

I wonder if rsync could be convinced to operate with checksums and so for
an entire fileset.. That would mean considerably more work for the server
though, so the caching checksums feature is probably something that must
be implemented first.

/Mattias Wadenstein - random ramblings on the issue of rsync