Re: 2.2r3 test images

Hello

> Hi,
>
> You'll be pleased to hear that I gave open.hands.com (a.k.a
> cdimage.debian.org) a brain transplant today, so instead of being an
> Athlon on a VIA chipset motherboard, it's now a PIII 750, on an Intel
> chipset, with 512MB of new RAM

That means you have *downgraded* the system ?
What was the reason for this decision ?
I know that there have been problems with VIA chipsets on Athlon
mainboards, but these should have gone with kernel 2.4.3 ?

> What do people think about this?  This matches the (slightly broken)
> state of the main archive at present, so either I kludge debian-cd to
> exclude bulkmail, or we wait (and wait?) for the archive to be fixed.

What is the difference between bulkmail and bulk_mailer from majordomo ?

> Please report how you get on with these images, because the sooner I
> get positive feadback, the sooner i can declare them official.
>
> Cheers, Phil.
>
> P.S. I just noticed that the alpha CDs came out with a 698865664 byte
> CD 1_NONUS, which is too big, so I'll have to re-do them.

Well, nowadays 700 MB CD-R are even cheaper than 650 MB, so I really
don't mind. Is there any *real* reason why the 650 MB limit is still kept ?
I mean, 700 MB CD-R can be read by all modern CDROM drives except 1x/2x
proprietary drives from about 10 years ago. Ok, I understand Pentium
processors also have to be compatible with 8088 since there is so many
software written for 8088, but does it really affect more than 0.001 %
of all users ?

I'm only aware that the new CD-R 90/99 may pose some problems on modern
drives and that the CD-R 144/200 need a BIOS or even laser upgrade to
be read successfully. Maybe it's time for a Debian DVD ;-)
(yes, I will test this with debian-cd once I can get hold of a DVD-R burner
or compatible DVD-RW)

Bernd

--
ixsoft Softwareentwicklung und -vertrieb Bernd Hentig
  Unter den Buchen 22E, D-16244 Altenhof, Germany