Re: Q: Pseudo image kitting a 2.2 CD set -> 2.2_rev2 ?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Serge Munhoven wrote:

> A few months ago I bought a 4 CDs set of the GNU/Debian i386 Linux 2.2
> distribution (hope you got some royalties, as a posteriori I can't find
> a mention about such a thing :o). Unfortunately I did not yet have the time
> to get on with it ...
>
> Now that 2.2_rev2 has been released I was wondering how to produce an updated
> CD set. In your opinion, will the "Pseudo-Image Kit" (or rather the rsync
> part of it) be able to correctly update a 2.2 iso-cdimage extracted using dd
> from the raw /dev/cdrom ? Note that I'll probably give it a try anyway, but
> am curious if there has been any experience reported in this domain.

This works relatively well, but there have been quite many changes in rev2
(e.g. new X stuff), so it won't be as efficient as when you'd start from a
complete up-to-date Debian mirror.

If you're only wanting to install Debian, it's probably best to install from
the rev0 CDs, and then upgrade your installed system via FTP. This usually
costs much less, because the updated stuff concerns many things that you won't
ever install. Rough figures: updating CDs costs 100-150 MB of network traffic,
updating average installed system only 20-25 MB.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer