Re: cdimage debian

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Jilles van Gurp wrote:

> I am confused. Is it a policy of Debian to confuse its users?

Debian is offering options that no one else does. This usually requires a bit
of thought, and some people use the word "confusing" for that.

> I'm a linux user.

You're sure? I haven't seen many Linux users using Outlook with it's terribly
bloated HTML stuff and infinite line width...

> I've heard great things about debian, so I think what the heck: lets
> download the iso and give it a try. To my surprise my search for locating
> the iso image of potato2.2r2 has so far been unsuccesful:
> - I have seen mirrors of obsolete iso's (from last August)

Some mirrors choose to mirror manually, which means they won't get updated if
the operators don't have time. It sometimes helps if angry users mail them ;-)

> - I've seen password protected files that I need (apperently)

Files are password protected because people erroneously think they need them.

> - The debian cdimage site provides a lot of info + a confusing wizard like
> page that invariably directs you to what you don't want trying to convince
> you that you want it anyway. However no links to a recent iso image (which
> is what you'd expect to find on a site called cdimage.debian.org, call me
> idiot if you like).

cdimage.debian.org contains all info you need. If you don't want something
that's best for you, be prepared to lie. (We haven't implemented the truth
detector yet, so that's okay for now ;-)

> - I've found instructions on how to make an ISO however I'm interested in
> the endresult, not in the process. I just want to pop in a cd, reboot and
> install debian. The simpler the better.

Debian is not simple. If you want something simple, use Mandrake or SuSE.

(Actually, Debian _is_ simple, but you need to know a few things, and be
prepared to do things differently. Downloading a CD image is one example.)

> - I've seen links to installation guides that appears to be in
> Hungarian/Romanian (sad joke that quickly becomes annoying, and yes I know
> how to find the english version by now)

The problem is in your browser. http://www.debian.org/intro/cn

Also check  http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/debian/handleiding/  if you can read
Dutch.