Re: Problem Creating CD from CD Image

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Mikko Santos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried twice to create a CD from the CD image.  Both times I was
> unsuccessful.  The CD's I burned were not bootable, couldn't be browsed
> in Windows, nor mounted from Linux.

[...]
>   5. Ran rsync as follows:
>           rsync --verbose --progress --stats --block-size=8192
>           aurolinux.mit.edu::debian-cd/2.2_rev2/i386/binary-i386-1.iso .
>   6. Checked that the sum from the following command matched the results
>      in http://www.uk.debian.org/debian-cd/cd-images:
>           md5sum -b binary-i386-1.iso
>   7. The sums matched, so I used Adaptec's Easy CD Creator Version 4.02d
>      to burn the CD
>
> The error I got after I ran rsync:
>
>      ERROR: file corruption in binary-i386-1.iso.  File changed
>      during transfer?

Erroneous message, bug in rsync. Since the md5sum matched, that can't be the
problem.

> I tried to create a CD Image using Easy CD Creator from the CD Images I
> rsync'd from aurolinux.mit.edu and ftp.fifi.org.

Most likely this is your problem. Many Windows programs have difficulties with
handling raw .iso images. We have collected instructions for several programs
at  http://cdimage.debian.org/faq.html . It might be a good idea to try one of
the other programs mentioned there; several are freely available.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer