Re: Rsync and incremental updates on top of Original CDs

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Richard Atterer wrote:

> Note that I'm currently working on a tool which will allow you to say:
> "Here's a CD full of files and an 'image template' (created for a new
> CD, also by my tool) - please fetch any new deb's and re-use the other
> files from the old CD."

Cool!

You mention "the" old CD as if it were only one (which is very nice already),
but since packages tend to get shuffled around a bit each time, it would be
most useful to allow multiple local "repositories" (mounted or copied CDs, and
/var/cache/apt/archives/ for example).

(And in the extreme case: multiple CDs in one drive to be changed on request
a la apt; should be possible in at least C which allows you to skip stuff when
writing and re-write it later. Which would also be useful to concentrate all
FTP/HTTP traffic in an as-short-as-possible online period.)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer