Re: Please, pseudo-image help needed!

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Nugzar Nebieridze wrote:

> Currently I'm running FreeBSD 4.0 as my internet/mail server and I'd also
> like to try Debian on another computer to compare them. So, as
> cdimage.debian.org offered me I downloaded pseudo image kit and started
> making of the CD image.
>
> ./make-pseudo-image binary-i386-1.list ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian
>
> actually, the problem is that I intended to create not the official CD image
> by my custom CD.

In this case, the end doesn't justify the means. See
http://cdimage.debian.org/ch32.html

> I also added to this pseudo image the updates from
> ftp://security.debian.org.
>
> So, of course the MD5 sum will not match and I do not want to run rsync. The
> question is "Can I create my custom CD image from existing pseudo-image
> file?". I checked the make-pseudo-image script and as I see the only thind
> it makes is
>
> cat $DownloadedFile >> pseudo-image
>
> so this file is only a binary string. if it is impossible to make a custom
> image from this file

It is not possible to make a custom image from just a pseudo-image.

> can I extract the downloaded files from
> pseudo-image?

Yes you can, but it'll surely take some time. The pseudo-image.log file will
tell you the correct name and length of every file in the pseudo-image; the
next file starts at the next 2048-byte multiple. That way you can traverse the
entire pseudo-image and extract all files from it.

The easy way of course is to rsync to the official image, burn it to a CD and
just copy the files from there.

> I have CD-writer on my Win 2000 box with adaptec easy cd creator.
> Please, answer me if you can. I already downloaded 550 megs of data and do
> not want to lose it.
>
> Thank you,
> Nugzar Nebieridze

I don't know how you did it, but the three lines of garbage after your name
completely messed up my mailer. It was such a pain to restore things that I
can assure you I'll just hit the 'D' of Delete if you try this a second time.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer