Re: Rsync and incremental updates on top of Original CDs

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 08:53:08AM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, arifi wrote:
> > Once one has the latest 2.2_rev2 Official CD's (let's say I bought
> > them), can rsync be used to incrementally update these w/o drastic
> > network traffic, once 2.2_revX or 2.3 or 3 ... etc become available ?
>
> yes - you would have to dd the cd images to your hard disk to work with
> (of course)

[snip]
> you will find anywhere from a 30% upto a 60% saving in bandwidth using
> rsync for this.  (at least i did for rev0 -> rev2).  of course if you are
> using the pseudo image kit 2.X, you will get more like 90% savings if
> you have a local full debian mirror available to build the images instead.

Note that I'm currently working on a tool which will allow you to say:
"Here's a CD full of files and an 'image template' (created for a new
CD, also by my tool) - please fetch any new deb's and re-use the other
files from the old CD."

Eventually, I want to write a graphical user interface, but the tool
is useful even now, as an add-on for the current command-line
pseudo-image-kit. Expect a first release in a week or so.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  CS student at the Technische  |  GPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  Universität München, Germany  |  888354F7
  ¯ ´` ¯