Re: Potato and Woody CD builds

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Philip Charles wrote:
>
> > I don't know if anyone else is doing this, but I have built potato and
> > woody CD trees using the current archive.  I was surprised how well it
> > went.  Potato CDs look as though they would be usable, but there were a
> > few unusual "features" in the woody trees, the main one being that a small
> > potato file system is included.  I haven't got round to finding out why
> > yet, but I suspect that symlinks from woody to potato may have caused
>
> grep Filename: Packages | sort | less
>
> (the main archive Packages file that is, but should look the same on the CDs
> of course.)
>
> And while you're at it, it might be an idea to also try unstable (=sid) for
> i386 etc.
>
> BTW, how many CDs do woody/sid currently take (binary/source)?

I took a good look at the CD trees.

Potato binary.  No change as there is nothing in pool yet.
Potato source.  The source that lives in pool ends up in ../main/source/
		on the CDs.  The files are listed in Sources.gz on the CD.

Woody binary.	Packages in potato and pool end up on the CDs each with
		their own files system ie ../potato/ and ../pool/
		However, these packages are _not_ included in Packages on
		the CDs.  Neither are they included in ?.Packages used in
		the CD build, but they are found in ?.packages.
Woody source.	The source that lives in pool ends up in ../main/source/
		on the CDs and is included in Sources.gz.  However, the
		source that lives in potato has its own potato file system
		and is _not_ included in Sources.gz.  Neither are they
		found in ?.sources or ?.sources.main used in the CD build.
		But, files in pool are included in these lists.

IMHO the major problem is the building of the Packages and Sources files
for the CDs.

I included both non-free and non-US in the build.
Binary-386 CD4 has 262 MB on it.
Source CD5 has 29 MB on it.
	These are the sizes of the disc trees and not the iso images.

The Sid build comes in the category of the Hurd build, I have yet to
summon up the courage to do it.  May be in the next Millennium.

A successful new Millennium to everyone.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818