[Fwd: RSYNC issues]

Hello Anne, anyone else,

I tried to burn the ISO again.  What you said made sense.  But I
ended,with the same result.  I get a "cant find sector error" when
trying to view the dir of the CD. I am burning to a 700mb CD but that
doesn't seem like it should matter.  The ISO burns to 628 mb on CD  the
ISO on the,Windows HD shows as 631mb.  Is it just that windows cant read
the CD,disk?  That seems too unlikely.

Concerning Pseudo image Kit 2.0:
I tried make-pseudo-image from my house where I have good bandwidth.
After running the command:

I:\>make-pseudo-image binary-i386-1.list ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian

I ended up with a ~9mb file pseudo image.  I checked the error log and,
there were two errors concerning readme files but nothing else.  The
dowload log showed all the files as downloaded at a total much
greater,than 9mb (or so it seemed! I didnt add it all up yet).  No
errors,there.  But somthing sure seems flakey.  I am running RSYNC
against it, just to see what happens.  This is the second time I had
problems with,make-pseudo-image also...

Am I inept or are others having problems? :-)
Regards,
Allen

"J.A. Bezemer" wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, null wrote:
>
> > I am confused.  It seems rsync is just a verifing program written to
> > make everyone who wants an "Official CD".
>
> No, it is a program that can efficiently convert any file on your own harddisk
> to make it identical to some file available on an rsync server. That file on
> your harddisk may be an earlier version of the CD image, or a pseudo-image as
> created by the Pseudo-Image Kit
> (http://cdimage.debian.org/~costar/pseudo-image-kit/).
>
> >  I downloaded (on a Windows
> > machine) an ISO from debian
> > (saen.debian.org::debian-cd/2.2_rev0/i386/binary-1386-1.iso) and tried
> > burning it directly with Adaptec EZcd creator.  As you can imagine it
> > bombed.  Cant find sector error.
>
> If you just downloaded the image with HTTP/FTP, it should be as correct as it
> gets. No need to use rsync in that case. If the "can't find sector" error was
> displayed by your burning software, it was probably caused by a defective CD-R
> in your drive.
>
> >  So I thought "Oh I must need to RSYNC
> > it to get it up to snuff".  When ever I run RSYNC against it it is like
> > tring to download the entire CD again.
>
> If you start with a HTTP/FTP-downloaded .iso image, there shouldn't be much to
> be downloaded by rsync at all. This probably means that your .iso file is
> broken. You didn't happen to FTP your .iso in ascii mode, did you?
>
> But if you did use the Kit to create a pseudo-image, there would be some 8 to
> 10 MB for rsync to download, which may mean that you canceled the rsync just a
> bit too early. (And probably that you used a slow rsync server, because 8 MB
> in 2 hours is quite low.)
>
> If my assumptions are incorrect, please provide some more information. Also
> carefully re-reading the README of mentioned Pseudo-Image Kit might help.
>
> Regards,
>   Anne Bezemer
--- Begin Message ---
Hello Anne,

[...]