modprobe trying to load `nls_?' module while trying to mount Debian CDs

Hi people,

As the subject says. This happened to me while upgrading slink->potato, on a
machine with slink (hmm, perhaps it's potato, this happened even after the
upgrade) versions of mount and modutils, and kernel 2.2.16. This is the
fstab entry for the CD:

/dev/hdd        /cdrom          iso9660 noauto,ro,noexec           0       0

The CDs are a Debian 2.2 official 3-CD-set, burned a week ago. The CD-ROM
drive is an an old Mitsumi 4x speed.

Could it be that our CDs have some problem with NLS, that mount can't
recognize their charset or something like that? Or is this a local problem?
(in which case I'd appreciate suggestions on how to fix it :)

Please CC: any answers if you want me to read them, I'm not subscribed to
these lists.