Re: Can't md5-check 2.2_rev0/binary-i386-2.iso

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Jim Westveer wrote:

> On 24-Aug-2000 Jim Westveer wrote:
> > On 23-Aug-2000 Jim Westveer wrote:
> >>
> >> Being myself, a fan of double negatives....does this mean
> >> that the i386 CD#2 image HAS been patched ???

The image on cdimage.d.o has been patched, but it usually takes several days
for mirrors to pick up (mirroring from other mirrors etc.)

> > But, it seems I answer my own question
> >
> > -rw-r--r--   672960512 2000/08/22 11:15:52 binary-i386-2.i
> >
> > It has been patched.
> >
> > Does this make it version 2.2_rev0 and a half ?
>
> Or perhaps 2.2_rev0 + 'a little bit'

;-)

> Actually, I was always taught, that when one changes
> a software product, one changes the revision number.

For correcting a single typo, publishers don't call it a "second, revised
edition". Besides, if we'd given it a new revision number, at least the volume
label, .disk/info, Packages.cd(.gz), README.html/.txt and md5sum.txt would
have changed too, which would have meant a complete rebuild of the images with
all associated potential new problems. And then of course no super-easy repair
program, and everyone downloading the newly built _three_ CDs all over
again...

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer