Re: 2.2 CD images appearing

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, jason andrade wrote:

> i'm not sure who looks after cdimage.debian.org's web pages
> but i needed one change and also had a suggestion.
>
> suggestion: despite the really cool Q&A system to get to a
> final answer, would it be possible to link to the list of
> mirror sites for the ISOs off the front page ?

We had just that when slink was released, and we decided that was "not
optimal".

> change needed:
>
> aarnet's mirror project is also hosting the m68k ISO images
> and i've just started getting PPC images.
>
> so can the list be updated to reflect
>
> source, i386, alpha, sparc, m68k, powerpc

I've changed it to "all except arm" instead ;-)

> i'd also consider cleaning up the list a little - i have no
> idea how the data is stored - plain html ? back end database

Simple text database from which the rsync and FTP/HTTP lists are generated;
admin's email addresses are stored there too.

http://www.une.edu.au/its/nsg.htm still mentiones it; may be down temporarily.

> Perth - ftp up, 2.2 not available yet (except for beta)
> Sydney - ftp up, 2.2 not available yet

2.2_rev0 partly present already.

> --------------cut here-----------------------------

Ah, you just registered the city AARNet to be listed first? ;-))

> </dt>
> <dd>
> and
> and

I wonder what webbrowser understand this... It has to be cut'n'paste-able into
an xterm or DOS box and nobody will use "Copy Link Location" (if that's even
possible in IE).

(Besides it's wrong notation; if you use rsync:// then s|::|/|
but older rsyncs don't understand rsync:// so that's why we still use the old
notation.)

And I intentionally do not mention rsync and ftp/http on the same page because
then rsync simply won't be used at all. Everyone wants to point'n'click and
not think of the consequences.

> &nbsp;&nbsp; (source, i386, alpha, sparc, m68k, powerpc)
> </dd>

I don't mention "hosted at" unless explicitly requested, because it would
enormously clutter up the list.

>[...]

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer