Re: point release versioning

On 3 Aug 2000, Philip Hands wrote:

> "J.A. Bezemer" <costar@panic.et.tudelft.nl> writes:
>
> > And IMHO 2.2r0 sounds much better than 2.2_r0 - so I'd suggest having a
> > DEBVERSION="2.2r0" for the official CDs that will be made in 1.5 weeks or so.
>
> IIRC the right way of writing the full version was supposed to be:
>
>   X.Y rZ
>
> with a space before the r, to emphasise the point that the revision
> number is largely irrelevant to users when it's so easy to use apt-get
> to go from one revision to the next.
>
> Obviously it's a bad idea to have spaces in filenames, hence the
> underscore.  I tend agree with Anne about dropping the underscore, on
> the basis that debian2.2r0 is a valid MSDOS style 8.3 name, whereas
> debian2.2_r0 is not.

The only place this _may_ occur is the symlink in the FTP archive. But I don't
care about that thing, it may be anything the ftpmasters like. I doubt it's
ever used. And it's wrong most of the time; it should be 2.2 r0.5 between the
first security patch and the release of 2.2 r1...

> That said, I still think we should write it as X.Y rZ (or more often
> write it without the revision, unless it actually matters) when it's
> not part of a filename.

That's a very good idea indeed! I've scanned YACS and having a
DEBVERSION="2.2 r0" shouldn't cause any problems (except see below...)

(To get even less confusion, we could maybe call it "2.2 rev0" or something,
but I don't think that's wise at the moment.)

> Of course this does break Joey's assumption that we can look for an
> underscore to determine the version number when looking for the
> dedication, so add-bin-doc will need to look for an ``r'' instead.

Oh dear. I see a terrible thing there that I'd classify as a beginners error.
There are no quotes. Not around $DEBVERSION, but that was (until now) no big
problem. $dir isn't quoted. And $dir can be anything, even
"something ; rm -rf ~ ; somethingelse".

Can someone PLEASE fix this?!  (And scan the scripts for other similar things)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer