Re: Official test-cycle-1 images!

On 2000-05-23 at 23:46 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Le Tue, May 23, 2000 at 02:41:12PM -0400, Mike Bilow écrivait:
> > have some people to whom I have given disks who cannot reliably read past
> > 650,000,000 bytes (619 MB).  We are currently pushing the limits on Disk 1
>
> That's not a standard limit, the real limit is 650MB = 650 * 1024 *
> 1024 bytes, it's =~ 680,000,000 bytes. And actually for i386 I got
> images of 675,000,000 bytes with the SIZELIMIT indicated in the README.
>
> I see no reason to lower under 650 Mb.

All I can tell you is that real CDs burned for real users have been
reported to fail on their hardware as we make the images larger.  By the
time you get to 650 MB (680e6 bytes), the failure rate is almost 50%.
This has proven true across different users, different media vendors, and
different writers.

I think that the limit of 639631360 (610 MB) which was in the debian-cd
package previously was fairly solid, although perhaps overly conservative.
If this makes the difference between going to a fourth CD or not, then I
can see worrying about this.  However, if there would be four CDs anyway,
then I think we may as well be conservative on the image sizes.

The only real advantage I can see to making the image sizes as large as
possible is that I have noticed a number of people download only the first
bootable CD and then use the network for the rest of the installation.
Under no circumstances, however, do I think it would be wise to have the
images exceed 640 MB (671e6), which is where things seem to start to fall
off the cliff in terms of reliability.

-- Mike