Re: upgrade still not working good.

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> slink system, updated last a few weeks ago, tried to
> update to potato with cd images as of 4.4.2000.
>
> first "less /cdrom/*" does not give much usefull information.
> also there are lots of compressed files, for example *.txt.gz.
> i vote to decompress them.
>
> dpkg-multicd could not resolve any dependencies to a usefull point,

apt-cdrom has obsoleted multicd. Don't use it.

> the apt version had apt-cdrom, but it could change cd's.

"it could change cd's" ?? Maybe you mean it could _not_ change CDs?
(Well, it's working great for me...)

> so i had to manual update apt and later manual install adduser.

Then which apt did you install? The one currently in slink? (which means your
slink system wasn't 100% up-to-date)

> then it works nice, but several times the upgrade fails, and you
> have to start "dselect->install" again. not a problem, since i see
> that it had resolved some problems. but for unexperienced users
> this is very strange.

Upgrading with dselect is not really the way to go (at least, wasn't with
hamm->slink). "apt-get dist-upgrade" should do everything just fine. Use a
"--no-act" to see what's going to be done.

> also i had problems removeing kernel-image-2.2.9 and plan.
> fixed them with hacking ("exit 0" in the ki229 postrm script/
> created /var/lib/plan which did not exist before).

Hmmm. I think you should report these as bugs, but I don't know what should be
done about them (problems seem to be in the slink packages). Maybe check
-devel first.

> all in all it's a big improvement, but still i can not recommend the
> update procedure to anyone execpt hard core debian fanatics.
>
> regards, andreas
> p.s: this mail is send to debian-cdrom. if you find any other mailing list
> usefull for this posting, please let me know. you can also forward the
> posting, but make sure noone else does. i do not read -user, -devel, -private.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer