Re: CD Image and CD-RW

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 12:56:06AM +0200, Erik Sigra wrote:
: I didn't find an answer to my question in the FAQ. I wonder if i can burn a
: Debian CD-RW (with the same image file as for CD-R), so I can use the same
: CD for future versions of Debian? Then I wonder if it is possible to boot
: from that CD-RW (with the burning device) so I can throw away my old floppy
: drives?

I don't know the official CD images (as I burn my own) -- but we've
already burned (and sold) and used bootable CD/RW.  The manufacturing
process is the same as for plain CDR (except the writing speed, 8x
(CD/R) vs. 4x (CD/RW)).

I've never tried to boot from the CD/RW-writer, but I'm sure it works,
since from the aspect of a reading process it's a plain CD drive.

(SCSI)-bootability is (IMHO) a feature of the controller and the BIOS,
not of the drive.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

: I'm new to CD-burning but considering buying a CD-burner for this purpouse
: (I'm sure I will find other uses for it once I have it) and I will try to
: find a device that is suitable for Linux.

We use some Yamaha CD/RW-writers w/o problems (for about 4 weeks).
Stop, some problems there are, from time to time the 8x writing process
stops and I've to throw away the CD, but this may be caused by my
over-length SCSI cable (about 3 m) ;-))

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Gruesse aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann