Re: boot-floppies 2.2.9 and Debian CD's...

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 04:53:31PM +0100, Eric Delaunay wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > >
> > > That could be very well possible. Since the code in dbootstrap falls back
> > > to normal operation if it does not find the files it expects, then we
> > > wouldn't have to worry about a CD that a user burned incorrectly.
> >
> > I guess that's the best solution we have for the moment, many people
> > create CD image without root rights ... and I wouldn't trust debian-cd
> > code too much (with all the files that are written without any
> > check and possibly to a well known location writable by all).
>
> Then why would not you *always* try CDROM install first?
> If installing from network, the CDROM will not be likely present and
> dbootstrap will fall back to other method, and if booting from floppy but with
> the CDROM loaded, it will use it immediately (nice for old non-cdrom-bootable
> PC boxes).

Right now I have dbootstrap setup to detect the "cdrom_install" and if it
sees that, tells the user they should choose "cdrom" method. We could
bypass this altogether, unless we are in expert mode. Would make for a
nice clean install via cdrom. I don't think we should make it check for
cdrom by default for everything, since there may be issues with the
persons cdrom, and they want to avoid it.

Ben

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '