Re: Debian CD-image

An update on trying to create binary-sparc-1.iso image. Took a total of 12 hours to make pseudo-image using ftp.kernel.org which tested to be the fasted site for me. The log shows files downloaded between 20 to 70 kbs, average 40. The make-pseudo-image program froze 8 to 9 times, but in all cases was able to restart. Would have been an hour or two shorter as I was not always in the room when the download froze.

Presently running rynsc. 3 hours, 10 minutes = 37%, 213Mb processed. A straight download of the complete iso image usually takes me 3 hours.

Peter Myers

Thanks for the fast replies. I guess I forgot to say I am using the Pseudo-Image
Kit version 2 under Windoze, Windows 98, PIII 600, SCSI everything.
As an experiment I tried renaming some of the local files to what is on the
binary-sparc-1.list and I received a lot less warnings and "files not found".
The make-pseudo-image appears to be case sensitive and does not use the
translation tables.

I followed your suggestion to use the  2.1r2 image as pseudo-image, and just skip
make-pseudo-image. I could not get this to work
My note about one file at a time using "make-pseudo-image binary-sparc-1.list
ftp://kernel.org/pub/mirrors/debian
follows the note shown when starting make-pseudo-image about rsync being modified
to handle only one file at a time. Perhaps the rsync program in Windoze could
have an option for number of files to transferee at a time. I often download 10+
files at a time with no lose in speed.
I am currently trying rsync again to use a ftp site to retrieve the files. It is
very slow compared to a straight ftp.

Any help would and is most appreciated. Thanks